VisionThe Department of Agriculture Science, SRM University Delhi-NCR, Sonepat, Haryana aims to emerge as a leading world-class university that creates and disseminates knowledge upholding the highest standards of instructions in Science and Humanities. Along with academic excellence and skills, our curriculum imparts integrity and social sensitivity to mould our graduates who may be best suited to serve the nation and the world.
- To create Research atmosphere of International standard.
- Promote excellence in educational and skill development processes.
- Continue to build productive international alliances.
- Explore optimal development opportunities available to students and faculty.
- Cultivate an exciting and rigorous research environment.
IntroductionIndia is an agricultural country. Agriculture and its allied activities act as main source of livelihood for more than 80% population of rural India. It provides employment to approximately 52% of labour. Its contribution to Gross Domestic product (GDP) is between 14 to 15%. At the time of Independence, India faced food grain shortage. India achieved spectacular growth in agriculture sector since 1966. India today is self-sufficient in most of the food grain despite population increase. The food grain production of India increased from 51 million tons in 1950 to about record 273.38 million tons in 2016-17. This growth in itself represents a remarkable achievement in the history of world agriculture. India has achieved significant growth in agriculture, milk, fish, oilseeds, fruits and vegetables owing to green, white, blue and yellow revolutions. All these revolutions have brought prosperity for the farmers. Many factors are responsible for these achievement viz conducive government policies, receptivity of the farmers and also establishment of higher agricultural education institutions. In order to sustain, diversify and realize the potential of agriculture sectors, it is necessary to develop skilled human resources. Agricultural human resource development is a continuous process undertaken by agricultural universities. Agricultural universities impart education in the various disciplines of agriculture viz., Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering, Forestry, Horticulture, Veterinary and Animal Husbandry, Dairy Science, Food Technology, Fisheries Science, Agriculture Information Technology, Agri Business Management etc. It imparts education at the level of diploma, degree, masters and doctoral level. SRM-UH has established the Department of Agriculture under the Faculty of Science, Humanities & Social Sciences to train the students in the field of agriculture.
Introduction to B.Sc. (H) Agriculture ScienceBSc (H) in Agriculture Science programme is a 4-years-long undergraduate course consisting of topics such as agricultural science, use of modern scientific equipment and techniques in agriculture, land surveying, soil science, water resource management, animal and poultry management, basics of biotechnology, agronomy, nutrition, farm operational management, agricultural marketing or journalism, genetics and animal breeding, production operations management, health, welfare and disease advisors, animal science and technology, research, advisory and consultancy both for the government and the private sector. The main aim of this programme is to use the above mentioned concepts to train students improve agriculture productivity, manage products and pave way for future developments through research activities. The courseware will be delivered through a series of lectures, seminars and practical classes at the farms and laboratories. Our exceptional industry contacts and external visits to livestock and crop enterprises and agribusinesses will provide valuable additional case studies. Modules will be assessed through examinations and coursework, including real-life case studies, presentations and reports. There are timed, unseen examinations at the end of each year. The Research Project is an integral part of the course. It provides the opportunity to study in-depth a subject of specific interest or of direct relevance to employment aspirations. Our graduates will be able to apply for placements relevant to their interests and aspirations, and may choose to link these to their choice of electives in the final year or proposed dissertation topic.
Graduate Attributes in B.Sc. (H) Agriculture ScienceGraduate will be expecting to
- Having an ability to apply mathematics and science in agricultural applications
- Having a clear understanding of the subject related concepts and of contemporary issues
- Having an ability to design a component or a product applying all the relevant standards and with realistic constraints
- Having an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- Having an ability to use techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for agricultural practices
- Having problem solving ability- solving farmers problems
- Having adaptive thinking and adaptability
- Having a clear understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- Having cross cultural competency exhibited by working in teams
- Having a good working knowledge of communicating in English
- Having a good cognitive load management [discriminate and filter the available data skills
- Having interest in lifelong learning
Career Opportunities after B.Sc. (H) Agriculture ScienceGraduates have several career option to serve at various capacity viz., Agriculture officer, Farm or Plantation Manager, Agricultural Research Scientist, Agriculture Development Officers, Agriculture Technician, Practicing progressive agriculturists, Business Development Executive, Marketing Executive, professional in colleges and universities, Technical advisor in NGOs, Agricultural innovators and entrepreneurs.
- Agronomy: Basics of Agronomy, Kharif and Rabi Crop, Crop Protection, Weed Management, Irrigation Techniques, Water Resource Management, Organic Farming, Sustainable Agriculture.
- Plant Genetics: Botany, Basics of Genetics, Plant Breeding, Seed Technology, Basics of Biotechnology.
- Soil Science: Introduction to Soil Science, Soil Fertility, Soil Chemistry, Fertilizers, Agricultural Chemistry.
- Entomology: Pest Management, Beneficial Insects, Grain Storage and Management.
- Agricultural Economics: Market prices, Trade prices, Marketing, Finance, Agribusiness Management, Farm Management.
- Agriculture Engineering: Agriculture Machinery, Power and Tools, Harvest Technology, Environment Science and Engineering, Renewable Energy.
- Agricultural Meteorology: Climate patterns, Climatic hazards on Agriculture, Climatic Zones, Weather forecasting.
- Plant Pathology: Crop Diseases, Nematology.
- Horticulture: Fruit Crops, Medicinal Plants, Aromatic Plants, Flower Production, Spices, Plantation Crops.
- Agricultural Extension: Dimensions of Agricultural Extension, Extension Methodologies, Entrepreneurship Development program.
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- National Seeds Corporation Limited
- State Farms Corporation of India
- Food Corporation of India
- National Dairy Development Board
- NABARD and other banks
- Agricultural finance corporations
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
- North Eastern Region Agricultural Marketing Corporation
- Agro industries
- Agriculture Marketing
- Financial sector with focus on agriculture
- Micro-finance institutions
- Fertilizer companies
- Agri-biotech organizations
B.Sc. - Agriculture Science (Hons.)
Duration: 4 Years
Eligibility: 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics/Biology/Agriculture with minimum 45% marks (40% in case of SC/ST)
Fee : 1,50,000/-
Value Added Courses
- Personality Development
- Value Education